“Without music life would be a mistake,” philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche once wrote. I have yet to decide if I agree with him or not. In the meantime I am going to answer so-called philosophical questions using song titles.
(I need an excuse to procrastinate, is why.)
1. What harsh truths do you prefer to ignore?
Love is a Losing Game – Amy Winehouse
2. Is free will real or just an illusion?
Ewan – APO Hiking Society
3. Is there a meaning to life? If so, what is it?
Happy Not Knowing – Carly Rae Jepsen
4. Where is the line between art and not art?
Glory and Gore – Lorde
5. What should be the goal of humanity?
Eat the Rich – Aerosmith
6. Does fate exist? If so, do we have free will?
God Only Knows – The Beach Boys
7. What does it mean to live a good life?
Sit Still, Look Pretty – Daya
8. Why do we dream?
Troubles Will Be Gone – The Tallest Man on Earth
9. Where does your self-worth come from?
Just My Imagination – The Cranberries
10. How will humans as a species go extinct?
Masseduction – St. Vincent
11. Is it possible to live a normal life and not ever tell a lie?
You Get What You Give – New Radicals
12. Does a person’s name influence the person they become?
No Such Thing – John Mayer
13. Is the meaning of life the same for animals and humans?
Only The Lonely – The Motels
14. If someone you loved was killed in front of you, but someone created a copy of them that was perfect right down to the atomic level, would they be the same person and would you love them just as much?
What’s Going On – Marvin Gaye
15. If you could become immortal on the condition you would NEVER be able to die or kill yourself, would you choose immortality?
‘Di Bale Na Lang – Jericho Rosales
16. What actions in your life will have the longest reaching consequences? How long will those effects be felt?
Pag-Alis – Barbie Almalbis
17. How long will you be remembered after you die?
iglap – syd hartha
18. If a child somehow survived and grew up in the wilderness without any human contact, how “human” would they be without the influence of society and culture?
Kakaiba – Flow G, Bosx1ne, John Roa, Skusta Clee
19. How would humanity change if all humans’ life expectancy was significantly increased (let’s say to around 500 years)?
Do I Wanna Know? – Arctic Monkeys
20. Where do you find meaning in your life?
Poor Places – Wilco
21. What do you think would be humanity’s reaction to the discovery of extraterrestrial life?
Ask For More – F4
22. Will religion ever become obsolete?
Unti-Unti – UDD
23. If you could teach everyone in the world one concept, what concept would have the biggest positive impact on humanity?
How To Save a Life – The Fray
24. Is suffering a necessary part of the human condition? What would people who never suffered be like?
Punk As Fuck – The American Analog Set
25. Does hardship make a person stronger? If so, under what conditions and at what point is it too much hardship? If not, what makes a person stronger?
Crying in Public – Chairlift
26. Would things get better or worse if humans focused on what was going well rather than what’s going wrong?
It’s Not Up To You – Björk
27. What benefits does art provide society? Does art hurt society in any way?
Can’t Find the Words – Ward Wills, Middle School
28. How likely do you think it will be that humans will last another 1,000 years without killing ourselves off?
Anything Could Happen – The Clean
29. What do you attribute the biggest successes in your life to? How about your largest failures?
Huwag Mo Nang Itanong – Eraserheads
30. If freedom is simply being able to do what you want, are animals freer than humans?
Maybe – Neocolours
31. Would you want to know you are going to die beforehand or die suddenly without warning?
It’s All In Vain – Wet
32. Is humanity headed in the right or wrong direction?
No Distance Left To Turn – Blur
33. Does the study of philosophy ever lead to answers or simply more questions?
Why Why Why Why Why – SAULT
34. What is the best way for a person to attain happiness?
Love Love Love – Epik High
35. If you had to guess, what do you think would be the most likely way you’ll die?
I’m Just Really Tired Ok – FLOOR CRY
36. Is it better for a person to have a broad knowledge base or a deep knowledge base?
Kahit Ano – Eraserheads
37. What is the best way to train people to see the gradients in the world around them instead of just a simplistic “this is good, that is wrong” view of the world?
Make Some Room – The Suffers
38. Is intelligence or wisdom more useful?
Same Drugs – Chance the Rapper
39. Which of your beliefs are justified and which ones aren’t?
All Mixed Up – Red House Painters
40. What do you contribute back to society?
Between Something and Nothing – The Ocean Blue
41. What are you going to do with the one life you have?
Crumble – Cheats
42. Is it more important to help yourself, help your family, help your society, or help the world?
I Wonder – Bay Ledges
43. What life-altering things should every human ideally get to experience at least once in their lives?
First Love – Emmy the Great
44. What is the most important goal every person should have?
Break Free – Ariana Grande
45. Is it better to be a big fish in a small pond or a small fish in a big pond?
Some Are Lakes – Land of Talk
46. What are you capable of achieving?
Call It Dreaming – Iron & Wine
47. By what standards do you judge yourself?
Such Great Heights – The Postal Service
48. Can human nature be changed? Should it be changed?
Nonsense – Younha
49. How replaceable are you?
Hide the Drinks, I’ll Be Okay – Arigato, Hato!
50. Why don’t we as a species take more advantage of the fact that we have almost infinite knowledge available to us?
You Can’t Always Get What You Want – The Rolling Stones
The Nietzsche quote is from the book The Twilight of the Idols, Or, How to Philosophize with a Hammer. The featured image is by Namroud Gorguis on Unsplash.
Keep safe, everyone!